Saturday, March 14, 2009

Girl Time

My husband has been so wonderful this weekend.  He is always so great when I say "I've scheduled lunch with so and so OR I made plans to do this.  You got the kids?"  And I sort of planned 2 days in a row with "me" time.  

Friday night I got tickets for me and Lindsey to see a Sara Hickman concert in Grapevine.  If you've never heard of Sara Hickman you are really missing out on a great singer/songwriter from Texas.  She is smart, creative, quirky, talented, funny, enjoyable, friendly...shall I go on?  She writes music for adults and most recently she has put out a few childrens' CDs.  She saved our life with her Newborn CD - it put Evan to bed every night of his life for an entire year.  So, I was thrilled when Lindsey was willing to take a night off from her family and come to this concert with me.  


We had a great time at this concert.  Sara was wonderful - she played for about 3 hours.  You can just get lost in her melodies and her lyrics are so poetic and thoughtful.  For each song she sang she told the story about how it came about.  So intriguing.  

The stage was Sara, her guitars, a microphone and a stand.  That was all.  No back up.  No band. Casual and intimate.  At intermission and after the concert she walked right down into the audience and essentially greeted people and chatted.  

We got our turn pretty quick.  I introduced myself and told her I was a music therapist.  "Oh, I LOVE music therapists!", she said as she gave me a huge hug.  I told her how we use her music with the students we work with, how we added some lyrics to one and made books for others.  She was thrilled and so happy.  She even gave me a suggestion on how to use another one of her songs.  And then she was nice enough to pose for a picture with me.  

Me and my new friend, Sara.



Lindsey and I just had the best time.  We can always crack ourselves up over complete nothingness and I'm so thankful that we have each other in our lives.  

THEN....

The next day the two of us went to meet our long lost friend, Laura.  She recently moved back to the US after being in Switzerland for sometime.  I know the last time I saw Laura was 1994 and I think Lindsey last saw her in 1992!  It was so great to see her and catch up.  I hope we get to see each other more often now that she is actually living back in our state!


This isn't the greatest angle - but the total stranger I asked to take our picture didn't feel the need to stand up from their chair to snap it.  So hear we are looking down on things.  Love ya, Laura - thanks for meeting us for lunch!

What a great weekend with some wonderful Girl Time!

No comments: