Thursday, May 8, 2008

Music Therapy

Some of you may not know that I am a music therapist. I work in a school district providing music therapy to children with special needs such as developmental delays, autism, Down's syndrome and other's with severe and profound disabilities. It is quite rewarding but can be very exhausting. That is where the name "The Music Mommy" came from - I'm not a SAHM (stay at home Mom) but a working Mom. Many of my teachers ask if I do music all the time with my own children....and you'd think the automatic answer would be "yes". But the truth is...I don't. I mean, I do but I don't. I'd love to have the time to do more and that will probably happen this summer but after doing 4-6 30 minute sessions each day at 2-3 different school campuses...I really don't feel much like singing when I get home. And when I do sing to my kids - the most common response from Brennan was "Mommy, stop singing!" He is better about wanting to sing along now and Evan does love music but I don't sing to them all evening.

Okay, so moving on from my personal, little downfall of being a mom who is a music therapist.....I have a colleague who started her own blog called The Music Therapy Show with Janice Harris. She started the blog as a way to inform other music therapists, general public and people who have experienced music therapy in their own lives or someone's they love. She is so knowledgeable and funny. She actually covered my maternity leave when I had Brennan - and she still talks to me so I guess I didn't scare her off too badly. I'm glad I know her and proud to post her new blog on my blog. She is doing a weekly radio show on blog radio every Saturday. You can listen live or check it out on the archive. So, if you have questions about MT or are just looking to be more informed check out her blog.

2 comments:

Janice Lindstrom, MA, MT-BC said...

Thanks for the plug! Of course you don't scare me off--LOL! I don't have kids, but I totally relate to not being able to sing or "do" music after work. I listen to talk radio in the car between sessions and mostly like silence after work. My nephews also say "Mommy (or Tia-that's what they call me) don't sing". Must be that age. Great blog!

Lalah143 said...

Hi Jen -- I'm Lalah, an MT in an Atlanta-area school system. Just wanted to say a big THANKS for this entry. I could have written exactly the same thing, except I have one 2-yr old rather than 2 kiddos. The poor guy gets more music from his daycare where the teachers don't sing on key at all than from me... a little sad. It almost doesn't even occur to me, I'm so over it by the time I get home. And I definitely get the "no! stop!" when I do start. :-) Kylin is starting to sing to himself around the house, though, and I find that a complete joy. Anyway, thanks for sharing and for letting me relate! Best - Lalah