Needless to say, I didn’t sleep all that well in the tent. Things were flapping around (tent things, that is) and my legs hurt, had to pee, not a good pillow…you name it – I probably complained about it. ANYWAYS, after changing and eating a scrumptious breakfast it was time to hit the trail.
It was nice to leave at our own pace and not be clumped in a big group of people. The safety crew really made sure everyone stayed safe by remaining on the sidewalks and crossing the street safely. Thank God for them – because you really stop paying attention after awhile.
This was some of the crew from camp...these guys sent everyone off in the morning and welcomed us "home" in the afternoon...and yes, we were all a bit chilly that morning, ha!
We walked through Addison, North Dallas, Farmers Branch and back into Brookhaven College. We saw some amazing neighborhoods
and incredible cheering stations. Again, all the people that were cheering for us – unbelieveable! We saw lots of fake boobs, lots of pink, lots of signage, lots of candy, lots of snacks, lots of love and admiration! You really do bounce through those without a pain anywhere.
Family came out to cheer us as well! It gave us something to look forward to on that Day. I know they drove forever to get out to North Dallas and then waited for what seemed like forever for us to walk by.
We found my sis-in-law, Laurie on Meandering Way.
Lindsey's Mom-in-law brought us some much needed cokes - thanks Kathy!
My fam made some posters and brought the kiddos...Reid got tuckered out and fell asleep on Mom...poor guy had had it. Wishing I could do the same.
Leti and Deja brought us some candy goodie bags for the trail - thanks!
Shannon's family and friends brought signs and instruments to inspire us! We wish we could have stayed and chatted some more but we had about several more miles to go before we made it to camp.
Those last miles were really hard – at least for me. We were walking through Addison again and beginning to go over a big bridge. There was no bathroom in sight and after drinking the big coke that Kathy Hurst brought us back at the cheering station – I really had to go. And I was hot and TIRED! Our legs were aching and our feet were going numb. I realized that as I got more and more tired I would take smaller and smaller steps. I made it to a little hotel on the other side of the bridge and they were so nice to let me use the potty – but they really didn’t have a choice.
Heading back to camp that day seemed to take forever….and we had seen these roads before on Day 1. So we had more of a sense of how much further we had to go. Our mile card for that day said we were going 20.1 miles…but there was no way. It had to have been more.
Well, we did make it back to camp.
And my pedometer said we had gone about 23 miles that day. But we were on a high – we had done Day 2.
We quickly headed for the showers so we wouldn’t have to wait in a longer line and wearing our pjs sounds so nice.
We had some time to check out the last walker coming into camp and be part of the flag raising ceremony. One Day Closer!
Shannon had some blisters to tend to in the medical tent, Lindsey had her phone to charge and I got adjusted by the chiropractor. We headed to the dining tent for an evening of food and entertainment. It was the final night of the karaoke contest! Then it was Dance Party time! It was fun to loosen up and stretch out those muscles. We were total goobers but it was a blast! Such memories we were creating together. I slept much better that night in the tent. Maybe because it wasn’t as cold or wasn’t as windy or maybe because I had walked 43 miles in 2 days. Either way – I was out!



No comments:
Post a Comment